The working environment
All tech companies claim to provide a perfect work environment for developers. We’ve been doing this for over a decade and we think we’ve created an environment which is pleasant to work in, and where our staff can do great work. Here’s why:
- Professional development
- Developers at LShift are first-class citizens, whom the rest of the company is organised around. There is a real opportunity to shine and to lead and to apply initiative. You will enjoy direct contact with the client, with whom you’ll review business requirements and collaborate on technical solutions. With the support of a team of experienced professionals your commercial awareness and project management skills grow beyond all recognition.
- Technical challenges
- Unlike many other companies, LShift has no set menu of technologies from which a solution will be picked. The lead developer, in collaboration with the client and colleagues at LShift, comes up with the solution that best fits. In the past LShift has been ahead of the curve in its use of technologies like Erlang. We write frameworks and tools to support our work and open-source them for the world’s benefit.
- The office
- We’ve been based in Shoreditch since before Silicon Roundabout or Tech City were dreamed of. Surrounded by an ever changing selection of cafes, restaurants, bars and gyms our office has everything you might expect: fast machines, good chairs, good coffee, a well-stocked fridge. There a places to park your bicycle, lie down, listen to music and take a shower. There can also be flexibility around working hours and location. We won’t nanny you, but will do everything we can to foster an open, creative and collaborative culture.
- The goal of starting LShift was to create a developer-led company which would do excellent technical work and be a fun place to work. A recurring theme when we talk to developers is that this is the best place they have worked. We prize our company’s culture which prizes individuality and independence in our staff.
- Pay and benefits
- Our salaries are supplemented by performance related bonuses. We’re small enough to make this fair. People are really rewarded for their contributions. Staff are also supported with pension and health insurance schemes. We also offer help with child care costs, and commuting to work whether by via bike or public transport.
Next: about you.