We never recruit for a particular technical role, but always look for broad and deep skills and experience, for people familiar with a broad range of operating environments and programming languages, combined with a high level of software engineering expertise.
The priority is to recruit great coders, with or without formal qualifications. Applications from school drop-outs, graduates and interns and PhD’s will all be welcomed. The key requirement is that applicants can demonstrate impressive technical work and reasonable social and leadership skills.
A good candidate will have the following skills:
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structures, complexity
- Experience with different programming paradigms (definitely OO, at least one of functional or declarative, and any others a bonus!)
- Versed in several programming languages
- Experience of all stages in the project life-cycle
- Architectural skills
- Good Unix or Windows skills (and willingness to learn the other)
- Experience of leading projects
- Experience of client interaction
Other characteristics we expect:
- You care about technology
- You know what makes projects succeed
- You have a pretty good idea how to stop them failing ;-)
Next: graduates and interns.