Diff for Javascript

By: on August 15, 2006

Toward the end of last week, I found myself wondering about implementing a diff algorithm in Javascript. It turns out there’s already at least one available attempt at this, by John Resig (direct link: jsdiff.js). Unfortunately, the implementation is a little buggy (try diffString("the quick", "the quick fox"), for example), so I went hunting for source material to implement my own.

I ended up finding J. W. Hunt and M. D. McIlroy, “An algorithm for differential file comparison”, Bell Telephone Laboratories CSTR #41 (1976) (postscript), which turned out to be quite implementable.

Here’s my implementation: hunt-mcilroy.js. With luck, I’ve even implemented something close to the described algorithm.

As an example, the output from

diff(“the quick brown fox jumped over”.split(/s+/),
“the quick fox jumps over”.split(/s+/))

is

[{common:[“the”,”quick”]},
{file1:[“brown”],
file2:[]},
{common:[“fox”]},
{file1:[“jumped”],
file2:[“jumps”]},
{common:[“over”]}]

The next step is to implement a diff3 equivalent, and then I’ve the tools to implement rudimentary version-control. It’d sure be a fine thing to see TiddlyWiki evolve darcs-like distributed change-propagation…

1. frank says:

How is your diff3 going on ?
    If it finish , may I see it’s source code by JS .

Thanks alot

2. tonyg says:

Hi Frank, unfortunately I’ve not yet returned to this little project. I’ll be sure to post when I do, though.

3. frank says:

OK , perhaps i’ll try to do a new one by myself . thanx

4. Peter Pallos says:

The code fails with the two sentences that I found on a different site:

str1 = “The red brown fox jumped over the rolling log.”;
    str2 = “The brown spotted fox leaped over the rolling log”;
    alert(uneval(diff(str1, str2)));

For example, a part of the result array is:
    {common:[“o”, “v”]}, {file1:[“e”], file2:[“e”]}, {common:[“r”]}

5. tonyg says:

You’re right, Peter – computing a diff character-by-character seems to give spurious diffs! How odd. Have you dug into the code to find out why that might be?

Splitting the string into words first gives a sensible answer:

js> uneval(diff(str1.split(/s+/), str2.split(/s+/)));

[{common:[“The”]},
    {file1:[“red”], file2:[]},
    {common:[“brown”]},
    {file1:[], file2:[“spotted”]},
    {common:[“fox”]},
    {file1:[“jumped”], file2:[“leaped”]},
    {common:[“over”, “the”, “rolling”]},
    {file1:[“log.”], file2:[“log”]}]

6. sandraros says:

… by John Resig (direct link: jsdiff.js). Unfortunately, the implementation is a little buggy (try diffString(“the quick”, “the quick fox”) …

It has been corrected (tested today)

7. BenS says:

[quote]
    … by John Resig (direct link: jsdiff.js). Unfortunately, the implementation is a little buggy (try diffString(”the quick”, “the quick fox”) …

It has been corrected (tested today)
    [/quote]

Does anyone know where the latest copy of the John Resig code can be found? His Project page for diffing has been taken down.

8. tonyg says:

I’ve just found and fixed the bug Peter Pallos noticed way back in 2008! The fix is visible here.