While I wait for some StickyWiki ideas to gestate, I’ve been playing with stock TiddlyWiki, co-opting some plugins from elsewhere to make it work how I’d like. It has surpassed paper-on-my-desk as the place I keep ideas and notes.
In the last week or so, Jeremy released TiddlyWiki 2.0. There’s a lot of work gone into it: a great deal of refactoring, a more elegant model for rendering using templates, and many of the snippets, plugins, and fixes contributed since the 1.0.x releases.
The interface in TiddlyWiki version 2.0 is much the same as before, with a change in colour scheme; however, customisation of the interface is much easier and cleaner. For a start, the layout of pages and entries is provided by editable templates, as are the CSS styles (with a nifty include mechanism).
The biggest improvement is probably in the refactored code. As well as being able to accomplish many things just be adapting templates or writing macros, plugin writers have a tidier set of objects to work with, requiring fewer potentially destructive or conflicting changes.
I was a little apprehensive about upgrading my personal wiki, because most of the plugins I’ve co-opted or written necessarily take advantage of the internal workings of TiddlyWiki, which have changed significantly. However, the regular developers are good at keeping up, and with lots of help from Simon Baird’s excellent adaptation Monkey Pirate Tiddly Wiki (which I’ve closely followed for my wiki) I updated plugins where I could, and disabled (and vowed to rewrite, since they were mostly mine) where I couldn’t.